In the 1920’s “Downhill” was the residence of Mr & Mrs Garvey – Mr Garvey was a retired Crown Solicitor – during this time the house and valuable paintings, Chamberlain Worcester China, Spode, Old Crown Derby, irreplaceable library, picture of St Francis of Assissi (historic), picture of Our Saviour appearing to Mary Magdalene in the Garden of Gethsemane, old Chippendale and Sheraton furniture, pianos were burnt to the ground - Not only did the burning affect the owners but also the many poor people who were daily supplied with milk free of charge by Mrs Garvey, she had a dairy especially erected for this purpose.Downhill House
, as it was known, was purchased by the Michael & Frances Moylett in 1936 as a private residence; the Downhill was registered as a Guesthouse on 1938. Three years later, a new extension meant that the Moylett family could register as a Hotel, which continued to develop. At this stage a young hotel management student Ann Moore was placed by the Shannon Hotel & Management School with the Downhill Hotel
from her summer work placement. During that summer Ann fell in love with the owners son Brian who owned Moylett Stores a thriving grocery business. They married and Ann continued to work under the guidance of Mrs Frances Moylett. On the death of Mrs Frances Moylett - Ann took over the complete Management and running of the Downhill Hotel
and was supported and encouraged by her husband Brian. By 1964, the Downhill Hotel boasted 33 bedrooms and was one of the finest hotels in Ireland.
During the late 1960’s the Downhill expanded rapidly under the guidance of Ann Moylett and superb Brosna Restaurant was built overlooking the Brosna mini-falls along with the state of the art entertainment centre “The Stables Inn”. With the new developing Leisure market Ann and her husband Brian decided in 1973 to convert “The Stables Inn” to a Leisure Centre
with indoor heated swimming pool, sauna, Jacuzzi, gymnasium and two squash courts - the second hotel in Ireland with these facilities.
The 1980’s heralded the new “Frogs Piano Bar
” with its grand piano, international entertainers coming from all parts of the globe (and continue to the present day) and this was an immediate hit with locals and guests alike. At this time the third generation of the family joined the business.
During the 1990’s the Moylett family once again decided to renovate, bringing their conference facilities to the next level- keeping up to date with advancing technology, upgrading the Leisure Centre - facilities – most on one level and adapted for wheelchair accessibility.
Winter 2000 saw the demolishing of a 12 bedroom block to the ground and saw the opening of 27 bedrooms with garden view, plus a Master Suite. The Downhill House Hotel
in Ballina is celebrating its 72nd year in business with style in March 2008 with a fantastic new €2 million refurbishment. The new refurbishment will see a beautiful new façade erected to provide the perfect modern entrance to welcome guests from around the globe. As with every detail in the renovation and extension of this unique property, the Moylett Family, who have owned and managed the hotel for three generations, has remained true to the original architect’s vision.